Trinity United Church of Christ

17 North 3rd Street, Coplay, PA 18037

Our History

     Early records indicate that Rev. William C. Rothrock preached to a Reformed Christian group of people. Services were held in area barns and residence throughout the borough as early as 1859.

    On February 12,1871, that a congregation was formally organized and recognized by the Reformed Church of the United States. Members of the first elected Consistory included: Elders: Owen L. Schreiber and Benjamin Levan. Deacons: A.F Krout, C.H. Knerr, Edward S. Haff, and Nathan Stofflet.

     Under the direction of Rev. S. Leinbach, the church's first Pastor, a House of Worship was built, in 1872.

     The cornerstone for Trinity Reformed Church, of Coplay, Pa 1872 was placed on July 28, 1872; the Church was dedicated in June, 1873. The Land and $2000.00 was donated by The Lehigh Valley Iron Co. The total project cost was approximately $8,200 which today would equal approximately $152,400.

      In January, 1945; fire consumed the entire Church building and all was lost. After much deliberation, it was decided, a new Church would be built; June 5, 1947 a ground breaking service was held. The Congregation was able to move into an unfinished Fellowship Hall. The new Church was dedicated in May, 1949.

     The Church name has changed twice since it was first formed. First to Trinity Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1936; in 1958 it was changed to and now remains Trinity United Church of Christ.

     Beginning in 1967, a Community Thanksgiving Service was held. St. John's Lutheran Church, St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and Trinity UCC congregations joined together for one cooperative Service, this
tradition still runs today.

       Each of the three Churches alternate hosting this event, congregations and choirs all come together as one, for the festivities. Offering gathered at this event is donated to a local  Organization to honor the spirit of giving. The entire community is invited to attend!!

    Today, Trinity consists of approximately 150 parishioners; Pastor Steven Hummel leads the church in Worship.